Monday, June 17, 2013

Oh Happy Day!

It's official, you can now call Josh Dr. Dettinger (and you better believe I do all the time!).  I am so glad we were able to go to his graduation in Miami on Friday and celebrate this great accomplishment.  Being in Miami with all its tropicalness took my mind back to where our journey started in Dominica and it was fun to reflect on how far we've come these 4 years.  Here we are at the White Coat Ceremony his first week of medical school on the island,
4 years and 2 more kids later
It was not an easy road by any means, there were many sacrifices made on both of our parts, a lot of hard work, stress, uncertainty, dealing with Ross and worrying if everything was going to go as it needed to.  But we made it!  Sometimes I have to pinch myself and wonder if this is all too good to be true. I am so grateful that Josh had this opportunity to get his MD, and while it was not the path we initially pictured, I would not trade our experiences for anything.  We have made lifelong friends, had many adventures, and have grown stronger and closer as a family.  I know residency will be far from a cakewalk, but we are happy to be starting this next chapter.  And I am thankful to have a Heavenly Father who loves us and has a plan for each of us, even when it wasn't what we anticipated, he knows what is best for us and truly has our happiness in mind.    

6 comments:

Jessie said...

yay!! congrats to you Dr. and Mrs. Dettinger! :) you both worked hard to get to this point. and now he'll get a paycheck, instead of a loan check, and you can stay in one place for three years (at least) and you don't have to move?! what will that be like?! :) congrats again!

elkins said...

Congrats to both of you for your long journey. It was always worth it! Very nice comparison pictures, and you both still look wonderful. We are so happy for you and proud of you and your family!!

Norm and Cassi Beatty said...

oh happy day is right!! you both are deserving of this special day!

Lorie S. said...

Congratulations you guys! I can only imagine the sacrifice, stress and craziness med school puts a family through but you guys seemed to do it as gracefully as can be done. And have created quite the adorable family at the same time! Hope this next chapter is even better!

Amy said...

Glad everything has worked out! Congrats to you and Josh! So awesome he has fam in Miami you got to visit, too.

Kris and Megan said...

three cheers for the dettinger family!!!!!! what a great day! love all the posts. you guys really are troopers.