Monday, December 26, 2016

Paw's Funeral

My Grandpa, "Paw", J. Stuart Nebeker, passed away last month at almost 95 years old.  While we were sad to lose him, we were also happy because we knew he was reunited with Grammie who'd been gone for over 10 years, and he'd lived a full and good life. 
  My parents called to tell me the news and to tell me that Paw had arranged for us financially to be able to go to the funeral if we were able to so that wasn't a worry.  I went back and forth for  a few hours about if I should go, and who I should take, and if I could make it work.  I ended up going with Sadie and Aaron, and between Josh having a day off in there to help watch the kids and neighbors filling in a couple gaps we had with them needing to be watched after school, it worked out really well and I'm so glad I went.  One of the biggest reasons was that we got to see my parents, who are still on their mission in Mexico City but got to fly out for the funeral for a few days.  They hadn't seen Aaron since he was 6 weeks old, and the thing that made me the most sad about my parents being gone was them missing out on the first year and a half of his life, so it was a great blessing for them to be able to see him especially.

 And he sure loved them!
 Of course Sadie loved seeing them too, and I think in general really relished all the attention she got without Shane and Marissa around.

 We were able to get on the same flights with Shannon which made a world of difference and Sadie really bonded with her this trip too.


 We were also able to see Bryce and Alyssa and their cute Andrew who we hadn't met yet,
 and Charlotte, who Sadie had a blast playing with.
It was good to reconnect with my Aunt Tawnya and her family and share memories of Grammie and Paw, and the funeral was really a celebration of his life and the good man that he was.  I left inspired by his example and completely humbled by the realization of what a great family I was blessed to be born into.  


No comments: