Saturday, March 15, 2014

On Basketball and Parenthood

Shane has been playing basketball with the YMCA for a couple months now, but I have struggled with writing this post for awhile now, on how honest to be.  It has such been a good learning experience, for him and for Josh and I, but a little painful at times too.  When we thought about whether we should sign him up or not, we thought "he can't really dribble or shoot, but I'm sure none of the other kids will really be able to either."  Wrong.  This is Indiana, Hoosier country, and these people take their basketball seriously!  And these little kids are pretty good!  I'm sure I've alluded to the fact that he has some motor/sensory issues, and that he's needed a little extra resources and support.  These struggles and differences have seemed to stand out a lot more playing basketball, and I will admit that it has been hard to watch at times, but we've also seen a lot of growth and know that it is all so so good for him.  We don't care at all if he is good at basketball or not, but I think it is so important that he learn how to follow directions, try his hardest, develop new skills, be active and a part of something, and have fun.  We want to give him a chance to be able to try lots of different things (sports and otherwise) to learn and grow and figure out what he likes, and I am so glad to have the Y to have such good programs for him to do these things at an early age.  It is pretty low key for the 4 and 5 year olds, they do a half hour practice and then a half hour game and the coaches are on the court with them helping them out.  Here he is running the ball down the court,       
and here he is when he remembered he was supposed to dribble ha ha. 
 And getting open for a pass.  That was a big one that he was actually looking for the ball instead of dancing around!
 And as my mom used to tell me after my basketball games growing up, he was the "cutest one out there!"  ha ha.  He wanted to do soccer next and it starts next week, so that will be our next adventure!

(These little girls were feeling left out that I wasn't taking their picture)


3 comments:

Sherry said...

Great post, Kel. And he is definitely the cutest one out there!

jbdettinger@blogspot.com said...

That is awesome Kelly! You are such a good mother. You inspire me in a lot of ways to be better, so thanks!

elkins said...

So glad you have the Y to get our grandchildren involved in things and for you too. You are great to let him try as much as he will. We used to think our kids couldn't do it and didn't give them the chances that they should have had. You are great parents!! He really is the cutest one out there.