Saturday, June 25, 2011

Niagara Falls

When we found out that Niagara Falls is only 5 hours away from us, we thought we would try to go there sometime this summer.  I wasn't completely sure we would go because traveling with a newborn is not always easy and Marissa can be a loose cannon sometimes.  But last week we decided what the heck, we don't know how long we'll be here and how much free time Josh will have to do stuff like this in the future so we might as well just seize the day and do it.  (Plus we had some unredeemed rewards on our credit cards) And I'm so glad we did!!  Sure, the car rides weren't always pleasant (we also tacked on a 2 hour drive to Palmyra, NY in there too...) and traveling with 2 kids is definitely harder than with 1, but it was all worth it.  And besides, I am a firm believer that if you want your kids to be adaptable you gotta just go and do things sometimes ;)  We left our house Wednesday morning as soon as we could get ready and drove through Canada to our hotel on the Canadian side of the falls.  My first time in Canada!
 

Of course a 5 hour drive with a newborn takes a bit longer and we got there around 4.  We checked in then walked down to the falls.  Shane was so excited to see the "BIG waterfall" and as soon as he saw them said "Wanna go IN there!"  It was a good thing we were headed to the Maid of Mist boat ride.  Do you think he was excited?!

Trying to get everyone situated with their ponchos

This was before we started moving- once we started he wanted to be carried.  That is no easy thing anymore!

The ride seemed to satisfy his need to go IN the waterfall and the getting soaked was an added bonus. 

I'm sure many of you have done this and know that it really is so amazing and you can't realize describe it with words very well


Then we walked back to the hotel, got some outrageously priced dinner (Canada is beautiful but dang all those taxes!) and crashed.  The next morning we got ready and drove across the New York border for a quick day trip to Palmyra (more on that later).  We got back to Canada later that afternoon and got the stroller out to cruise around the town.  It is a little crazy (think Vegas) but some good people watching.

And we were glad we had another chance to walk around and soak up the falls (and splash in puddles). 

and swim in the hotel pool

We slept in yesterday and then headed home. And how can you go to Niagara without taking a million pictures?  Here are just a few ;) 

8 comments:

Corrie and Phil said...

Good for you! What a fun and memorable adventure! Great pictures!

Amy said...

How fun! It is truly beautiful there. Did you have to have passports for the kids to cross over? My dad and I had to show Driver's Licenses when we went... But I know they keep changing the rules. Glad you got to do Maid of the Mist! I haven't done that one yet... No one in my family wanted to go :P

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

That looks like a blast! I have always wanted to visit Niagara Falls. That's cool you guys were able to do that trip before life gets crazy again!

Kris and Megan said...

looks like you're having a wonderful time! I love all the pictures, those are sure cute kids you have there! wish we could play!! miss ya!

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

That sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! It kinda makes me hope we get into Michigan!!

elkins said...

What a great trip! We did that once, I remember those blue ponchos. And only 5 hours for you! That's like a little trip to Ariz. for us. Loved all your pictures.

Norm and Cassi Beatty said...

Yay it looks like the trip was a success! I need to get all the details from you

Michigan Roys said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm glad you went!