Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Goodbye Dominica
Well, I have thought a lot about what I would say to sum up my feelings about my time here, and I'm not really sure I can do it justice in one blog post, but here goes. I definitely have mixed feelings. Am I excited to be going back to the states? Heck yes!! Was living in Dominica easy? Heck no!! The lack or or insane pricing of many basic food items and other things we take for granted in the states, having to walk everywhere to get it and shopping almost every day because you can only get what will fit in your stroller or in your lap on a bus and you need to go to 5 different stores to get everything was probably the most difficult. Then there were of course the bugs, the sweat like you've never sweated before, the rain, and, well you get my drift. But I have come to realize that the fact that it was so hard was also what has made it so good- made us more patient, better able to roll with the punches, laugh at ourselves (and occasionally others :) ), and realize that we don't really need much, just each other. Things here are never reliable, and you can't really count on anything, but I have realized that it's okay and that what I can count on is my Heavenly Father and I feel like I have come closer to Him this year and a half than ever before. I remember being crushed when Josh didn't get in to a school in the states, and a few years ago I would never in my wildest dreams have imagined we would live here. But looking back on it, I can think of at least a dozen reasons why we were supposed to be here and why it has been so good for us and changed us in so many ways, hopefully for the better. I hope I can remember that, and that when I feel like life is throwing me a curve ball and things aren't going the way I had planned, that my Heavenly Father knows just what I need. Dominica is where I learned what it really means to be a mom, and I honestly think I would be a completely different mother if I hadn't have lived here. It is Shane's real first home, and looking back I can't imagine spending this first bit of his life with him anywhere else. It is definitely time to move on now, but Dominica will always have a little place in our hearts, and I know that it will hold some of our very dearest memories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It always seems like when you have to go without some things that you end up coming closer to Heavenly Father. I love being able to have a little peek into your amazing life in Dominica.
I'm happy that you already look back on your adventure as just that, an adventure. It's funny how having mostly just the simple things makes you appreciate life a lot more. The States are excited to get you back and I'm still crossing my fingers we might not be too far away for grad school to at have road trips visits!
i miss you already!!! :( i'm so glad we got to have this adventure together. you were an integral part of my journey being as happy as it has been. kelly, you're an amazing person, and i am so happy to have gotten to know you here, and laugh with you about our circumstances, and watch our little boys grow up together... my tried and true play group buddy. matix and hawken's first real friend. we will miss you!
Well said! I think you did a great job summing it up and I'm glad to hear it said that way!
Well said.
Us readers need a new blog post, with lots of pictures!!!!
Post a Comment